F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My sons ground rent was £150 per annum and has been

Customer Question

My sons ground rent was £150 per annum and has been increased to £300. Is there anything he can do about this as he is worried it may be doubled again in future years.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

The ground rent can only be increased if there is a provision in the lease for it to be increased. It can then only be increased in accordance with whatever it says in the lease.

If you have a look at the lease, it will tell you exactly what the situation is. It should be extremely clear once you read the lease.

The landlord cannot simply increase the ground rent because he feels like because of inflation or changes in the market. It must be in the lease. It is not unusual for it to increase in stages over a period of time if it’s not a particularly old lease but in old leases, would usually be fixed.

If it isn’t, if you can attach the lease, I can advise you further.

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.