How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9346
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I was fired for gross misconduct on the 20th September but

Resolved Question:

Hello,I was fired for gross misconduct on the 20th September but my p45 says 1st September.Regardless of the reason for being fired is that legal, as no money has or will be paid for the 20 days of that month.Many thanksNick
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

You need to go back to the employer and asked them to issue an amended P 45.

If they don’t pay you for the 20 days, take them to the Small Claims Court or the Employment Tribunal.

You only have 3 months to take them to the tribunal so don’t delay.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.


F E Smith and 4 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks.Is there any exception to the rule at all
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

It’s not a rule. It’s a contractual requirement. They cannot give you a P 45 to end earlier than you were dismissed. They have to pay to that date also including holiday pay.