How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 5059
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I have a business bank account with barclays bank with a

Resolved Question:

Hello, I have a business bank account with barclays bank with a balance of over 300 thousand pounds and for over 3 weeks they told me my account is under review, Is there any way of getting them to release my money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Just to be clear, the money is frozen?
Is this an unusual amount to have in the account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the money has been frozen and I wouldn't think it is an unusual amount to be in a business account, I got paid from an international partner and barclays hasn't asked me to provide anything and give me an answer to why they have frozen my money.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Did you tell them in advance of this payment coming in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they had an Idea but that has not stopped them from freezing the account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave the chance and opportunity to do whatever they want reviewing for 3 weeks and this has stopped my business activities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jamie, are you still with me?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You need to write and make a formal complaint. You can do this at:

Freepost Barclays Customer Relations - that is all you need to put.

Once they investigate and if they do not find for you then you can go to the Ombudsman. They offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint at:

The only the option is to seek a Court injunction but clearly there is a cost to that.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your assistance, I will write to them.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I do not type very quick! All the best - If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you