Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

LEGAL I issued proceedings in the county court to recover a

LEGAL
I issued proceedings in the county court to recover a debt on the small claims track.
The defendant did not file a defense in time and I managed to have judgment entered.
The defendant managed to get the judgment struck out on the basis that the papers were not served at the correct address.
I have now issued proceedings again in exactly the same terms as before. However, I have received a letter from the defendant saying that they have taken legal advice and that whilst the previous judgment was struck out the case is still live and that as I have issued proceedings again one of the cases must be withdrawn and that I will have to pay for their legal costs under part 38 of the CPR after withdrawing one of the cases.
My questions are as follows;
1. As judgment was entered and then struck out on the initial proceedings, would those proceedings still be live. The court did not write to say they were still live or to give a hearing date.
2. If those proceedings are still live, do I have to discontinue one of the cases or can they just be joined, or will the court simply cancel one.
3. If I discontinue, can I suggest that CPR part 38 should not apply because I did not receive any confirmation from the court that the case is still live or any hearing date and this has been over 10 weeks now.
4. Finally, if both cases are now live and I simply let them run, will the court fine me for abuse of process.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, the previous Judgment was set aside or struck out?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hello Jamie, I have just checked and the judgment was set aside

Ok - then did you issue NEW proceedings or carry on old ones?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I issued new proceedings because having not heard back from the court for over 10 weeks I assumed that the old proceedings were no longer live.

No no no........

You need to discontinue the new proceedings. The old ones are still live.

You cant issue new proceedings on the same matter as the old ones.

The court should have given directions that a defence was filed and the matter would proceed normally.

But the old case is still live, you cant issue new proceedings.

You need to ask the Court for directions for the old case.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I listed 4 questions at the bottom of my original submission to you. I need to know the answers to those please. I have already issued the proceedings. I need to know now how do I right the error without being subject to CPR Part 38 costs

Yes the proceedings will be live on the 'old' ones.

Yes you have to discontinue

Part 38 does apply - you cant say it does not. If you discontinue the rules say you are liable for the other sides costs. It makes no mention of the fact that you dont hear back from you.

The Court will strike out the NEW claim for abuse.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. ***** discontinue the first case can I let the proceedings that I recently issued simply run

Yes thats right. But you just might need to ask the Court for directions on the first case.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. Yes that clarifies. What link do I press to pay you. Does that happen automatically?

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor