13262538

We're concerned about my monther-in-law who is quadraplegic

We're concerned about my monther-in-law who is quadraplegic and was awarded a large amount of compensation many years ago. Her husband has not been caring for her properly over the past few months and moved a woman into their home telling his wife that they are engaged and will get married when she dies. We're concerned that he's not got her best interests at heart and believe he's been spending her money on property, cars, travel etc. for him and his fiancee. As he has power of attorney over everything and because she needs around the clock care, we want to know what we should be aware of under these circumstances and also how quickly we may be able to access her funds on her behalf to get her out of that enviornment and into full time care?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you

It is clear that that her husband is no longer exercising the Power correctly and accordingly I would suggest that you report this sooner rather than later

The details for reporting are here

https://www.gov.uk/report-concern-about-attorney-deputy

and you should also contact the local Social Care to ensure that they are aware of her vulnerability

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you know if they would be able to help access her funds that he currently is attorney over to get her into care in the short term? We are conscious that this will likely move quite quickly and the home, with level of care she requires, will need a large payment up front & then regularly afterward.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

They do have spacial arrangements to cover such situations