13262538

Dear Sirs, My mother gave me a generous sum of money to help

Customer Question

Dear Sirs,
My mother gave me a generous sum of money to help my husband and i to purchase our house. However this gift was a conditional one where she implicated that in the event of my husband and separating she would want the money to remain with me. How would i go about this legally in the unfortunate even of this happening.
Thankks
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further informtaion first

When was the gift made?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oct 2015
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Would your husband sign anything confirming his understanding that this was the condition of the gift

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank for your response. Yes he has already verbally agreed. We just need something in writing and was wondering the best way to go about doing this. Thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

In that case what you are looking for is a Post Nuptial Agreement

You can read more here

http://www.slatergordon.co.uk/resources/expert-guides/pre-and-post-nuptial-agreements/

It would be a good idea to ensure that you both have separate Legal Advice to ensure that the Agreement is enforceable

Please ask if you need further details