13262538

A widower and divorcee (with 2 children) decide to get

A widower and divorcee (with 2 children) decide to get married. Both are UK nationals, and living in the UK. The divorcee's ex-husband, who was paying (partial) maintenance for the children, has just died, intestate. What are the widower's potential responsibilities regarding the two children after marriage?
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Could you explain a little more about what you need to know

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your answer, Clare.

My question was:

What are the widower's potential responsibilities regarding the two children after marriage (if any)?

It may be entirely by mutual agreement whether the husband makes any contribution towards the children (i.e. current ongoing school fees) at all?

Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

It is a matter between the couple what financial arrangements they make between them.

If the Widower choses not to treat the chidlren as his responsibility then he is free to do so

Please ask if there is some specific details that you are seeking

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the clarification.

If this couple subsequently divorce, do either party have any financial responsibility to each other?

Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

That is a separate issue and yes there will be a financial settlement as between the parties depending on their financial circumstances