12826847

Our 7 years old claimed to have been sexually abused by a

Hello. Our 7 years old claimed to have been sexually abused by a third party while at her tutor's setting. We have stopped the classes, and reported the incident to the police and they started an investigation. Social services got also involved ( as explained to make sure we are happy with the way police handles the case ) and started an assessment on our family. They now come unannounced, check out the house, ask children questions such as 'what do you like, dislike about your mom and dad' , and also wish to talk to them alone in a near future. Please advise if they are acting in accordance with the law,as we feel a bit uncomfortable and like under investigation ourselves,considering we have done nothing wrong.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

Is there any reason you think they may not be?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Just because the alleged crime did not take place at our home and we are not the suspects.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No but they have a duty to investigate all avenues

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

On the face of it, there is concern that the abuse did not happen there but since she is making the allegation that suggests knowledge inappropriate for a 7 year old.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

they have a duty to investigate how that may have come about.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

They may well conclude their suspicions are without merit but they have to investigate.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

If the children are not going to make any allegations against you then it should be nothing to worry about. Social services have to investigate but if there is nothing to find then there is no need to worry.

I'm afraid that making reports to the police does tend to lead to scrutiny.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Could making comments like 'someone put their hands into my knickers' be classed like 'inappropriate knowledge' ?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

It is borderline really.

I think it could be argued to be the sort of thing a 7 year might imagine. It is not as though she is describing the detail of ejaculation.

Although one never knows what children see on TV.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

The truth is that the only thing they can't repeat from having seen on media is smells. When they start describing smells the only real explanation is that they have experienced something.

I'm just off for about an hour but I'll be back later if you want to know anything else.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for you answer. Its been most helpful !

Expert:  Jo C. replied 9 months ago.

No problem. All the best.

Please remember to rate my answer.