13262538

A friend has accepted responsibility for his niece, who

a friend has accepted responsibility for his niece, who suffered early life trauma, and is difficult to manage. They pursued help from the GP, and social services, and in turn the school to no avail.
They then came across a US therapist who initially gave one to one training and now follows up with skype calls on a weekly basis and are proving real help.
However the school are up the walls with them as this is not UK approved and so will not work with the therapist, all under the heading of safeguarding. They sent the Social services in but they visited the home and said they have no concerns, and also the GP while not qualified to endorse the programme, has put in writing that she is happy with what they are doing.
How much are the school permitted to interfere, and what are the safegaurding liabilities that they risk given that SS are happy
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first.

Aside from involving Social Services what other action has the school threatened?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No other action. they just refuse to interact, as it is not UK approved (neither is it disapproved) but they are pushing them to use a UK provider in whom they have no confidence
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Are you aware that the site charges more for a phone call?

I am afraid that the school cannot be force to interact with the chosen therapist - any more than your friend can be forced to use the one suggested by the school.

However there is no other action that the school can take given that Social Services have no safeguarding concerns.

I am not certain what further information you need - could you clarify this please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.I think that covers it,Mark
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome I hope all goes well - and remind your friend that if it works then what the school thinks is not relevant