How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3631
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I would be found to be intentionally homeless due to

Customer Question

I would be found to be intentionally homeless due to assaulting my partner but I am ill. I have a brain injury, Emphysemia and severe depression. I get the highest rates of Disability Living Allowance. I have slept rough and on friends sofas for the last 9 months. Will the council have any duties to me? Would I be considered in 'Priority Need' ?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Why can't you keep staying with friends please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
because it's very incovenient for my friends to have me on their sofa's anyway and my alcohol problem has also come back into play and they understanderably dont want me in their homes in my current state. I am a bona fide alcoholic, another illness I really struggle with.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Have you asked for the policy at all?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Do you mean the Council's Homelessness Strategy Policy or just their own policy ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you still there???
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Sorry I was just considering this. You need to get the Council's own policy. See what that says.

Then you can see what it says - if you are intentionally homeless then they may have a duty to house you. But it would only be in B&B accommodation - it would not be in a Council house.

Once you check the policy you can see where you come on it. If you disagree then you can consider a Judicial Review of the decision. This is where a High Court Judge examines the decision of the Council to see whether their actions are legal and reasonable.

A Court can either agree with the decision or send it back for further consideration.

For more information on Judicial Review please see:

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice