F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I been asked to attend for an interview under fly tipping

I been asked to attend for an interview under fly tipping offence. What can I do now?please help me.how can I handle this.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 10 months ago.

Do you admit that you were fly tipping?

May we have the background detail please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but not intentionally and we didn't aware of it

Thank you. I’m afraid that ignorance of the law is no defence.

It appears that you admit the offence.

All you can do now therefore is attend the interview under caution and you would be entitled to have a solicitor present with you. I’m assuming it is at the local authority offices.

The penalty would depend on the nature of the tipping but for a few bin bags and also for something like that, would be a few hundred pounds as you would read here.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-penalties-to-crack-down-on-fly-tipping

for systematic dumping particularly of illegal or toxic waste, there can be prison sentences.

The definitive sentencing guidelines are here

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/Final_Environmental_Offences_Definitive_Guideline_web1.pdf

Turn to Page 15 onwards.

if it doesn’t go to court, the local authority may decide to deal with it by way of fixed penalty.

I see that you have requested a telephone call. I will submit a premium services proposal for which there is an extra fee. Alternatively, we can continue on here if there are any points not covered.

Can I clarify any points arising from this?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Unfortunately, for some reason I cannot submit a telephone proposal but you can always submit a request if you need to speak to me.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but it's not intentional and very first time,those are my old stairs carpet prices ...I started dumping them to recycling centre with my baby ...where my baby was sick from 2days and started crying..in that hurry tense I left them in a bushes not on roadPlease advise

We have now spoken. Good luck tomorrow