Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Im a contractor and have been suspended from work in full

Hi Im a contractor and have been suspended from work in full pay due to an investigation of theft of print toner cartridges at the company I was working on. I have been asked to write a report explaining the incident to my manager which I did and emailed to him. What I have heard so far is that they are doing a investigation and will call me in for a meeting once they have finished. Is there going to be police there or can they call the police if I'm found guilty?
They have strong evidence against me "work pass swipes, CCTV" but they do not have me clearly taking items and putting inside my bag.
Should I resign, will I go to prison?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the value of the goods please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
About £1000

No you wont go to prison. Even if the Police get involved (its unlikely given the value) then assuming you have no previous convictions you would likely be offered a caution.

Even if it went to Court you would only get a fine.

But its up to you whether you resign or see the process through. But you wont go to prison

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The company is doing a investigation of the incident and it all points out to me. However they have no prove that I putted this items in my bag and removed them from the site, after their investigation they are going to call me in should I go to this investigation meeting? Can they call the police right there and then if they believe that I've done it or should I just resign and move on?
Is this going to affect my future jobs?

Yes otherwise it looks suspicious if you dont. They wont call the Police there and then.

Its up to you whether or not you just resign.

If you get fired or the Police prosecute that may be something you have to declare in future.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Should I just come clean and admit to the crime?

I would not no, because they can use that.

Its up to you whether you resign. But if you do, you may not get a good reference.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
should I just go to the meeting play my inocense until proven guilty and see what happens?

Yes you can do that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I guess so, but before you go what's the worst outcome of this?

Worst outcome Court and a fine.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thanks

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How much have I been charged for this service?Also just a last one just to clarify.
On camera they are going to see me going in and out of stockroom first thing in the morning just after another member of staff had been in there and seen the items that went missing there... where I was sitting upstairs they have found empty boxes of the items (I was the only one sitting there) however they won't see me clearly removing this items out of the stockroom not putting inside my bag and walking out of site with it. But I believe they have very strong evidence to suggest that I have done it, "e.g. Time of work pass swipes, CCTV, empty boxes". Logically it shows that I'm guilty, however if there's no clear evidence of me putting this items in my bag and walking out with it then I can claim my innocence yes?
Also before this investigation meeting takes place are they going to let me see their evidence against me so I can see and work my defence or are they just going to show me right there and then at the meeting?

I think its a one off fee. I dont know the cost as I only see the questions.

There needs to be no evidence - they just need to be satisfied on balance that you took them.

I would ask to see any evidence of any charges. But an investigation is just that - investigation. Its not a disciplinary meeting to make findings of fact

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was told from my manager that after the investigation meeting then there will be s disciplinary meeting, where I believe they'll terminate my contract. Can they call the police then? If they decide to go to the police when are the police contacting me?

They could but unlikely.

The Police have 6 months to contact you.

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor