12826847

We ( my wife family and I ) went to a birthday party in a

We ( my wife family and I ) went to a birthday party in a cocktail bar in London.
now a month later my brother in laws, sons, wife has accused me of inappropriately touching her bottom.
( in a party of 30 plus people I do not even know what she looks like)
I have no recollection of this and I was in close proximity of my wife and family ( children 28 &25 ) all night.
i hold some very responsible positions in business and society and this accusation is very damaging to me within the family as it has come up the chain from, brother in law via sister in law via my wife ( who is also adamant that I would not knowingly do such a thing)
I feel strongly that this girl should either accuse me formally or apologize
your view appreciated
thanks
Stuart
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

hello i can help you. has she involved the police?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No not as far as I know; the first thing I knew about this was when my sister in law ( who has known me 32 years and is very embarrassed ) told my wife last night. Party was on 10th Sept BTWStuart
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
sorry I cannot talk this morningStuart
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is it possible to continue with a written conversation please ?Stuart
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, of course.

I'm not sure what your question is about this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
JoOk my question revolves around my last point in my original e mail above, copied below.'I feel strongly that this girl should either accuse me formally or apologize'I am of the opinion that what she has said is deformation of my character and has no basis whatsoever.thanks for your opinionsStuart
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Yes, so what is your question?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what should I do next in order to move this forward ? i.e. gain an apology.can i get a yourself/solicitor to write to her on my behalf ?Stuart
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

This is a question and answer site. We cannot act for you. I can give you general information upon your position though.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
pleasetell me my legal position as to what i can do pleaseStuart
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Clearly an allegation of this kind is defamatory. Generally speaking, actually I do think that the best means of defence is to defend aggressively and make these accusers liable for their ridiculous allegations. Of course you do run the risk of them going to the police to save face but then that could happen anyway.

You could get a solicitor to write to her warning her of the laws of defamation for about £100 plus VAT. That usually does cause people to desist.

If that fails though then suing is very expensive and probably she won't have the money to pay any award so that is to be avoided.

Usually the letter alone is adequate though. I do think it would be a good idea. The truth is that most women accept without complaint that unwelcome approaches will happen sometimes. Only a small minority of women make wild allegations and they need to be held to account.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jothank you for your answer, actually you have told me exactly what I was thinking anyway, but even so it is nice to have the opinion of an expert.I also know that there is no point in suing somebody with no money.Are you able to recommend a solicitor that could write/act for me, or would It be best to simply search local practices, is there a specific type of lawyer that I should be looking for ?Stuart
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

A barrister under public access would probably be cheaper actually. Try

www.churchcourtchambers.co.uk

or

www.5pumpcourt.com

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Jothank you for the advice, I will let you know how things proceed.regardsStuart