Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Is there any action I can take when me and my partner rent a

Hi Is there any action I can take when me and my partner rent a studio in golders green .. and there was 3 people in our flat door was left open I come back to this and was scared and it was an estate agent and has happened before we're my patter was in and the just walked in with people before its not the first time thank you jodie
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Jodie my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi thank you yes what do you need to no ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

I assume the door was locked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was locked normally they call or get confirmation from us but last few months nothing and we thought maybe there not going trough with it as the advert bored out said had been taken away outside
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

So someone broke in - was it reported to the Police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we didn't as they were the estate agents and there not getting back to us
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

So it was the estate agent that came in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
with 2 other people
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok, did they give notice of entry? I assume the tenancy agreement says they must give notice?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they should that was the agreement and should be in the contract
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They always dis before
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry always did before
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Did before what?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will call or message or email for me and my partner to confirm it's ok for them to come in
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

And they didnt on this occasion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they didnt
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok. What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well we don't want this to happen again as it's uncomfortable and I wanted no what we're the options to take in this situation and is werth tge time time effort to take action about this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would be your advice?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Ok - well you can do 2 things:

1) Get a Solicitor to write a letter and say they are in breach of contract. They must give notice and that they are not giving you peaceful enjoyment of the property. Therefore unless they give you notice and/or leave you alone you will be seeking an injunction or ending the tenancy.

2) You can seek compensation for the considerable distress caused.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yh sure will do thank you
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thanks in advance. All the best.