Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

A clause in my freehold lease states that i must keep the

Customer Question

a clause in my freehold lease states that i must keep the floors of the flat covered with carpet and underfelt or with such other effective sound deadening material. I want to lay a wooden floor instead of carpet. Can I do so?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your enquiry.

The clause in your Lease is there to stop you from putting down any laminate/wooden flooring (it can create terrible noise issues for any occupier below your Flat). So, unless you are on the ground floor, I have to recommend that you do not proceed- if you do, and any noise problems are encountered, the Freeholder would be entitled to ask you to remove the flooring.

I hope this assists and sets out the general legal position.

Kind Regards

Al

Hi, if I have answered your question, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer.

Al