I have recently spot with my wife of 18 years. We have 4

Customer Question

I have recently spot with my wife of 18 years. We have 4 children and a house worth approx 1.000.000 with 700.000 equity.
She is now seeing another man, who turns out is our 6 year old sons football coach, and lives on our street! I suspect this was going on before we split.
We are all still in the same house, and because of what she is doing,all of us living together is becoming very difficult.
I have told her I'm not moving out as I pay all the mortgage and bills, and have done nothing wrong.
She is suggesting that we borrow X amount of money, so she can rent a house for her and the kids whilst we sell the house.
Then we split the equity and go our ways.
What are my options in this situation, if any. Should I agree with her proposals or make things more difficult for her.
What is the worst she could do to me if this went through the courts. Could I loose more?
Or is 50% of the house a good deal for me.?
Please let me know
Expert:  Clare replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What other assets are there and what income do you each have?

How old are the children?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Clare
Children are 6,10,12, and 17
My wife is a full time teacher, she only became qualified 3-4 years ago, I don't know her exact salary but probably around 30k.
I am a self employed builder/ carpenter, I run my own small business and my income is around 50 k
There aren't really any other assets except for the car/ van.
We have no real savings that I know of and I have no pension, although my wife does.
That is it.
Expert:  Clare replied 19 days ago.

How likely is it that the house will sell quickly?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The agents that have looked seem to think it would sell quickly, it is in a good area near station and schools etc.
Expert:  Clare replied 19 days ago.

Given the length of the marriage and the fact that there are 4 children means that a 50/50 split is the best you would achieve - and that there is a very real risk that your wife coul obtain a 60/40 split in her favour

If she is willing to move out on that basis then it would give you avery strong position as you would have control of the sale.

I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi Claire
This is what I thought, so it would be best to accept her proposal?
And there is no benefit to me in dragging this out further?
I suppose if I make things more difficult for her she would then try and take more off me?
Expert:  Clare replied 19 days ago.

I think it is worth it to actually get her out of the house - otherwise she may dig her heels in and that will be more difficult