29905560

1 year ago I purchased solar panels & a battery/inverter.

1 year ago I purchased solar panels & a battery/inverter. the solar panels have always worked but I had no means of knowing whether the battery part was functioning. the company who fitted them became bankrupt in March. In May I began the process of finding another firm to look at my system & verify if it was working, this involved finding where the (Samsung) battery was made (in Germany) & getting assistance from Germany. It is now sorted & Samsung have replaced all the incorrect parts & I have paid £1,000 to the UK company who sorted out all the problems. It turns out that it was designed for the German grid & would not function with the UK grid. I had what I thought was 100% insurance but the company IWA have refused to pay because I signed to say the system was in working order & because the company who supplied it all have gone bankrupt. Have I any chance of changing their minds?
Frances Zagni (*****@******.***
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago did you contact IWA regarding this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't understand, I am awaiting a phone call, my number is ***** 479351

Hi there. Thank you for the live phone call request. I am in court for the remainder of today so will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Please do provide the information requested so that I can get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Hi there, getting the insurance company to change their mind could be rather difficult. Your rights really would have been against the seller, who has unfortunately gone bankrupt. The cover under the insurance could indeed be invalidated if you have not used the correct parts or equipment which has caused the issues. Whilst this may not have been your fault at all, it is neither the insurance company’s so that could well invalidate your cover with them.

To be able to try and change their mind you need to raise a complaint with them sing their formal complaints procedure and pursue it to its full completion. Once you have received their final response you can take this to the Financial Ombudsman who are an independent body which can look at this from a neutral perspective and issue a binding decision.