F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Is it possible to organise a Grant of Probate without a

Is it possible to organise a Grant of Probate without a solicitor? If not, what is it likely to cost?
Linda
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

There is no reason why you cant DiY.

The fee is £215

You will need to attend an interview at the Probate Registry which you wouldn’t need to do if using solicitors as they will deal with all that for you.

The whole process is explained here:

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/overview

I am happy to answer specific questions arising from this?

Please rate the service positive. It’s an important part of the process by which experts get paid.

We can still exchange emails.

Best wishes.

FES.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. I specifically told Land Registry that we were Tenants in Common at the outset. So it is very disappointing to have been given the wrong information. As it is now just myself and my husband who own the house, if one of us dies would we need to go to probate? Or does this not apply between husband and wife? Alternatively, would we be better as Joint Tenants? What do solicitors charge for carrying out Probate? The property is worth about £300.000? Linda
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

If it is TiC then if your husband dies you will need probate. It passes in accordance with his will.

Sols charge a fee plus %age of the estate which varies. Expect to pay £3-5k or so for this.

Mostly it is a mathematical and form filling exercise.