Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Am having trouble with my landlord. We have been a tennet of

Am having trouble with my landlord. We have been a tennet of his for 15 years now he has never spent a penny on the place and recently had to repair the toilet which i iniatally paid for out of his rent money. He complained to the company and got a 75 refund which he has badgered me for since. I informed him in april that the bath had a hole in it and said i wouldnt pay this till the bath was sorted. He also informed me that the rent was going up by 75 a month which i have been paying. The bath is still not sorted to how it was before the bath was taken out. With a hole by the wall and tiles needing to be replaced. Just want to know if i have the right to with hold rent money till this is sorted or pay him what i was paying before rent increase which was 525 a month
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does the tenancy agreement allow you to withhold rent?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We dont have a tenancy agreement anymore

But you must have an agreement, even if its outside the fixed tenancy period?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
basically ive paid 34 pound now
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We did originally yes but this hasnt been renewed in years
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im not sure what it says about with holding rent. But surely the fact he hasnt spent a penny on the place shows how tight he is.

Ok - generally it will say that you can't withhold rent.

Have you complained to the Council at all please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Am i being charged for every answer you give me too
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it is a private tenenancy

You should still complain to the Council. They have a department that deals with homes and make sure they are of a suitable standard.

They can come out, investigate and serve notice on the Landlord to improve the property if appropriate.

So speak with the Council. You can withhold rent but then you would be in breach of the tenancy and the Landlord could serve notice to end the tenancy.

You can dispute that in Court - so I would make sure you get plenty of photos and evidence before you go this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thats fine thank you for helping
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do have photoes and have kept all messages that were sent via text

Make sure you have evidence before you stop rent.If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Im not talking about stopping while rent just the additional rent that he increased by as he has done nothing to warrent extra money

Sure, thats ok

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thank you for the help

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!