Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We needed work done on our house so obtained a quote, which

We needed work done on our house so obtained a quote, which had estimate on it. It included the cost of scaffold for 4 weeks as that was to be the duration of the job. I asked the builder about any hidden costs, he told me that we would pay for any extra materials needed along the way such as tiles or wood as the job was to paint the outside of the house and replace the gutter. The estimate also commented on checking on condition of some of the window frames and reporting on their condition. I was also concerned about the job running over due to the price of the scaffold as we were on a budget - he assured me this would not be a problem.The job was completed within the 4 weeks, however, when the final bill was submitted the amount had gone from just under £10,000 to £15, 500. This did include an extra £1000 for materials (we understand more roof tiles were broken than first thought) but are not happy with an extra £3,800 for labour despite the job finishing on time. He says that extra work was needed to put right the building before painting - this was not discussed with us before hand. Where do we stand with this extra charge?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to know if we are obliged to pay these extra labour charges?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, only charges that are agreed and authorised in advance need to be paid.

The law says that only where you have been notified or agreed then would you be liable for charges. Contrary to this is the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is threatening to take us to court for the extra labour charge if we do not pay. He says he did the extra work as it needed to be done there and then, plus his original quote for work was stated on the paperwork as an estimate. Will he be able to make a claim against us?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, it was not agreed. It would be unfair as per the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help. So I am within my rights if I pay the bill minus the extra labour charges? Or do I insist he re submits the bill?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Pay minus extra labour.
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again for your prompt reply and putting my mind at rest.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

All the best.