29905560

A car hire company has send an invoice for damages to a

a car hire company has send an invoice for damages to a vehicle that i hired.
i had taken pictures of the vehicle on its return and no damage or scratches was on the vehicle.
I have now come to find out that this company has done this to many customers from reviews that i have found.
Also the company itself has moved three times in the space of 3 months.
I have all the prrof but do not know what to do.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

How long ago did you hire the vehicle and how long after did they send you the invoice? Also, have they provided any photographic evidence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vehicle was hire on 25th July 2016 and returned on the 26th July 2016.They emailed me the invoice yesterday 06th October, but on the invoice it is dated 05th August 2016 and have never had anything sent via post.Yes they have, but i also took pictures at the same time on return showing no damages.Regards
Nitin
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. At this stage there is just a request by the company for payment. This is not something they can force you to pay and if they wanted to do this they will need to go to court to obtain a court judgment against you. In doing so they would need to prove that the damage they are claiming for was indeed caused by you. In your defence you would have the photographic proof to counter any such claim and I would hope that a court would take this into account to reject any such claim. There is of course no guarantee that the company will ever go that far and actually go to court to pursue you. They may just be trying their luck by sending the invoice hoping you will pay but you certainly do not have to do so. If they are trying to claim for damages which were not genuinely incurred by you they may think twice before they go to court to pursue it so that may never actually happen. So just refuse to pay what you have been asked to and see how far they take it. You can then consider your options based on their next steps.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have should they make a claim, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben Sorry about delay
was bit tide up in couple of things so didn't get chance to do it..
couple of more things before i leave the feedback.
first can we challenge the claim on the grounds of the photos i took, showing no damage.
and also they have threatened me with baylief or debt collection serivce in the same letter i have received.
and considering the invoice amount , i can't afford to pay much for legal service to you.
please advise me accordingly
many thanks for the help so far.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, no problem – you can certainly challenge it based on the photos you have as that would be evidence that there was no damage, although they could try and challenge when these photos were taken, unless for example they have a digital stamp which shows the date and time.

They may threaten you with bailiff and debt collection but these cannot force you to pay anything – they are just there to act as a threat, a nuisance to try and make you pay. However, to be able to force you to pay they will have to go to court and win and this is some time away – they may never even go that far. So do not be too concerned about bailiffs or debt collectors – there is not much they can do without a court order.

Hope this clarifies?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome