Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Re Council Tax. I was the joint owner of a house that my

Re Council Tax.
I was the joint owner of a house that my brother paid the council tax.
He run up bills for council tax and then he was put into bankruptcy. He placed all the bills into the bankruptcy court. The council where given the chance to respond and make a claim against his assets but did not reply to the bankruptcy in any way.
They have now started chasing me and have been to court without my knowledge (I do not live or have ever lived at the house in question) The have now recently got an Order for Recovery of Award against me. I was advised by the court to Email the court if I dispute this amount which I did.
I got a reply from the Judge that they can not take action solely on a email so totally confused. This matter is currently being looked at by the Ombudsman.
What do I do to "set aside" or stop this award?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help You

Did you not go to court to contest the liability order?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I knew nothing about it. They never told me it was going to court

Just to be clear they are claiming sums which were included in bankruptcy?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes

Ok. They can't. Any claims included in bankruptcy are written off. They can of course claim for sums the day after bankruptcy onwards

But they can't claim for sums up to and including the date of bankruptcy.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Thats what I thought is there somewhere this is written down (case law etc) so I can dispute it. also how do i deal with the "Order for Recovery of Award" they got in regard the council tax that was put into bankruptcy as I don't know what to do about that?

Yes. I am asssming they got the liability order after bankruptcy and not before. If it's before then you would also be liable.

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/technicalmanual/Ch37-48/chapter40/part2/part_2.htm#40.50

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi yes the liability order was after the bankruptcy. What can I do about the order of recovery they got against me?

You need to apply to the Court to have the liability order set aside.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor