29905560

I'm a 21 year old who has been at a company for 12 months

I'm a 21 year old who has been at a company for 12 months progressing well and being essentially a perfect member of staff. 3 years ago I was dismissed from a job in the same industry for staff fraud whereby the whole hope took £24 out the till at the request of our manager, being 18 and naive I didn't appeal and everyone who did got their job back apart from the manager. I was on probation and had only been their about a month to a month and 1/2. I didn't declare this on my CV.. I'm wondering what sort of leg I have to stand on if this came to light. It worries me everyday. The guy that dismissed me said at the time he felt incredibly sorry for me and would give me a fantastic reference, although I'm not delusional to the fact he might have been saying this to soften the blow, hence leaving it off the CV. How long is this essentially valid for I.e if I was a 26 year old Area Manager could I still be sacked for something I did 8 years prior, with no evidence of that behaviour being repeated at the company I work ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. When you say you did not declare this on your CV, do you mean you did not include the specific job in your history?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I didn't put down that I had ever worked for the Company, so I had said I had no prior experience within the sector..

You have to be slightly careful with what you out on your CV. Not including a job you had done in the past is not that serious and many people leave out certain short-term jobs as they would not want to or even be expected to include every job they have held. So that in itself is not a problem. What would be an issue is if you make a statement which is untrue. So if you go on to say you have no experience in the sector, that would actually be a lie. So if you had just left the jib out and left it at that, making no other statements, that is not really an issue, but going on to then say you have had no experience in the sector would be making a misleading or false statement so avoid that if possible.

In terms of how it can affect a current job – as a starting point if you have less than 2 years service anywhere you are not protected against unfair dismissal. So in that period they can dismiss you for more or less any reason, including because of this, even if it has no impact on your current job/performance.

After 2 years have passed you get more protection and then they could only potentially dismiss you for misconduct, such as lying on your application form or CV. As mentioned, not including the job is not a big issue, just do not make other incriminating statements at the same time as these could amount to misconduct which they cold potentially use to discipline or even dismiss later on.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you