12826847

I was in Superdrug with my 13 and 10 year old daughters. In

Hi..
I was in Superdrug with my 13 and 10 year old daughters. In different parts of the store, we all had things with intent on purchase.
Next thing I know, the assistant manager has condronted my 10 year old, made a judgement that she has intention on theft, and threw her onto he streets - alone and terrified. She was INSIDE the store holding a lip balm that I had said I would buy for her. She told the guy that her dad was in the shop and he ignored her, leaving her in tears outside the store.
Thankfully I saw her as she wasn't allowed to come in to find me.
The store manager apologised and I made a complaint. Thry have no CCTV footage so offered me a £30 voucher which I declined.
Are they allowed to throw a minor into the streets of London alone like that? And make such an accusation which was totally unfounded?
Ian
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Sorry for the delay. Is there any reason you think they shouldn't? Sorry if I'm missing the point. Why shouldn't they confront a suspected shoplifter?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They didn't confront her. They accused her and threw her into the streets. She is 10 years old, in the store with her father.The store manager later agreed that the assistant manager was out of order.I said that if they had any concerns of course 'confront her.' My issue is that the first I knew was she I saw her outside, very distressed and incorrectly labelled a thief.And how could she be a thief when she was inside the store holding a product in her hands with intent to purchase? What about everyone else in the store holding product with intent to purchase - including me?Ian
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

They are perfectly free to do that. Any person can be asked to leave their premises.

They are not in loco parentis and don't have to allow her to remain the store just because she is 10.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

People who steal do sometimes conceal items in store before leaving with them.

They don't usually leave the store with them in plain sight.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

I can't say why they confronted her of course. I suppose neither can you as she was not close to you. For some reason, she appeared to him to be suspicious. It is quite unlikely he picked on her for no reason at all. Life isn't like that. It might well have been an incorrect suspicion but that doesn't mean he wasn't lawfully free to confront her and ask her to leave. Stores can withdraw their invitation to any person at any time they like.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They have admitted that they were wrong and that they should have come to me. I was told that guy in question usually woks at another store with high incidents of theft and was being over zealous.Had she been 8 would it be ok? What about 4? They can just throw a child out with no obligation to inform the parent? She was in a street in London terrified!To me it was barbaric. But if the law allows that, so be it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

It wouldn't have mattered what age she was. Children are ultimately not their responsibility.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

They are perfectly free to be overzealous if they want to. This is their property.

As you can ask people to leave your house without showing cause or reason.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. It blows my mind that a child can be legally separated from a parent by a complete stranger, and as a result be put in a position of danger.Had she got lost or been 'taken' from the street I wonder if things would be different.Anyway, you think that they acted appropriately so that is that.Ian
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ha! If I saw a child in my house with its fingers in the cookie jar, I wouldn't eject them into the streets of London without telling the parent sat in my front room!
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

That is a matter for you.

They are free to take a different view.

Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Fine. I admit I am shocked. I also admit I wil get a second opinion.Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Ok. Good luck