Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Im having problems with getting my deposit back from my last

hi
im having problems with getting my deposit back from my last address. private rented through an agency. we left the property 18th august. since then ive been chasing and asking whats happening with the deposit. as I owed a small amount of rent when we left I told the agency the landlord could take that out of the deposit or I would pay him asap. I get an email from agency asking if the landlord could take what I owed out of the deposit, but the sum stated in the email I thought straight away was wrong, and that they were trying to pull a fast one. a few emails later I managed to prove that I didn't owe what they had stated and given permission for the correct amount to be paid to landlord from deposit. this was nearly 3 weeks ago. Ive sent emails asking whats happening and why its taking so long and all im being told is the agency cant get hold of the landlord. I lost patience and gave them a deadline of yesterday to give me my deposit back to which they haven't. what are my legal options at this point or whats the next steps I should take.
any help be most appreciated
regards james
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
Was your deposit protected please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the deposit was protected. because we have moved recently I cant find the scheme number

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no thank you. you have basically confirmed what i thought i needed to do. didn't want to go down the rd im now going to take to get this matter resolved. was hoping for another way tbh, but with how things are i don't think its going to get resolved any other way unfortunatelythank you for your help

All the best.