Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I lived in a council house for 10 years then bought it with

I lived in a council house for 10 years then bought it with my new partner. He put down£15,000 deposit and 3years later when we split he continued to pay the mortgage in lieu of child support. I now want to sell the house, how do i stand with what I need to pay him back and do I need his permission. please

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Are/were you married?

-Whose name is ***** ***** in?

-What is the current value of the property and outstanding mortgage?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mortgage was in both of our names
We were not married
It's probably worth about £120,000I rented it from the council from 1986 - 1995 and because of that we were able to purchase it for £29,000. He put down £15,000 in cash and we had a 14,000 mortgage which was paid off in 2011. So from when my daughter was 16 - 18 yrs he didn't pay anything towards her care. T he mortgage he paid was in lieu of child support, so that we didn't have to have any contact

To confirm, is the title of the property also in his name?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is

Thanks for confirming. The legal position is that you are each entitled to a share of the proceeds of sale with how you hold the title - so if the title is in equal shares you are both each entitled to 50% of the proceeds, unless you can demonstrate there was an agreement or intention that the split will be different.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wow, Even though I paid rent for 9 years prior to the purchase?