How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Harris Your Own Question

Harris, Law Specialist
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2645
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
Type Your Law Question Here...
Harris is online now

I have a joint morgage with my nana and the relationship is

Customer Question

Hi i have a joint morgage with my nana and the relationship is broken down she refuses my entry or have any involvment in our home She lives their with her husband he isnt on the morgage and he doesnt pay rent or contribute. This has been ongojng for 4 years now and i have had enough can i charge him rent or remove him from our home and how do i go about it thanks.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Email address is***@******.*** thanks
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Just a bit more information required to fully assist you:

-Whose name is ***** ***** of the property in?

-Who is paying the mortgage?

-Are you also living in the property?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The property title is myself Craig Sheridan and Majorie Kirkwood we both split the payments of the mortgage. Marjorie Kirkwood and her husband Cameron Bridges are previously living their and have both lived at the property from us taking on the mortgage. Marjorie has barred me entry to our home and will not allow me to have any involvement over a family argument that did not involve myself. Our mortgage is tenancy in common I need legal advice on what my options are as I feel like what is happening with my home is unfair. Please can you give me as much information to what I have discussed I look forward to hearing a reply. Thank You Craig Sheridan.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi can let me no when ur responding to my issues plz thank you
Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

Apologies for the delay in replying. As you are named on the title you have a legal interest in the property and will be legally allowed to return, enter and occupy it unless there is a court order in place excluding you from the property. As she lives there with her husband he would have matrimonial home rights to live there and there is no legal requirement for him to pay towards it. However, he would legally only be entitled to seek a claim against her share. You therefore cannot remove either of them from the home unless you apply for an occupation order to court which will remove them both.

You may also wish to consider selling your share to them so that you can realise your interest, and if there is no agreement to your proposal you would be entitled to apply to court to force a sale of the property.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Expert:  Harris replied 8 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice