Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a student house which i rent out to students. over

Customer Question

i have a student house which i rent out to students. over the summer extensive work had to be done and the builder was given a key to gain access to the property which was empty.
during this time we paid our builder immediately we had received invoices from him accumulating to over £12000. when the students returned he still had a key which i asked him to return as it invalidated our insurance and because our students welfare and property were paramount in out minds. i had asked several times for the key to be return and he ignored my requests. i sent him another text asking him to return the key to us by the end of the week otherwise we would have no choice but to change the locks and bill him accordingly. he replied rather aggressively stating he was holding on to the keys until all outstanding invoice had been paid. he had not invoiced up until this date for the final work carried out but had no reason to believe it wouldnt get paid as we had paid all other invoices. on the saturday we arranged for the locks to be changed in the morning. on the saturday evening we finally receive his final invoice. to date i have now not paid this because i feel i can deduct the price of the locksmith abd also feel he was blackmailing me. do i have any rights?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can I get an answer this evening please
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will I get a phone call this evening please?

Do you have a number?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have just sent you the number***********