How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JGM Your Own Question

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9973
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have received a divorce petition from my estranged husband

Resolved Question:

Hello, I have received a divorce petition from my estranged husband of 17 years and he is looking to claim financial orders against me. I have already signed over my share of the marital home which he has retained since and I have a minute of agreement registered in Scotland where I was resident at the time which states neither of us has any claims over the others assets at any time in the future. I am now resident in England again. Will this cover me on any claims he now wants to make against me? Thanking you for your kind assistance.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your question. I would defend the divorce petition. Assuming your Minute of Agreement was in full and final settlement of all issues between you, that should be it, and it should be produced as part of the divorce as evidence refuting his claim. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss further. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9973
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Clare replied 12 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been an English Solicitor for more than 30 years

I suspect that what you are referring to is the Tick box part of the Petition relating to finances.

In fact this does NOT mean that he is actually making any claims - it merely makes it easier to dismiss any claims that you have on each other in a Clean Break Order ( the English equivalent of a Minute of Agreement)

You should on no account defend the divorce based on this issue - far from it - it is for your benefit

10 Oct 2016, 9:28 AM

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Clare. The letter from his solicitor states he is seeking to apply for a variety of financial orders. This relates to all the boxes ticked on the petition. Is this still the scenario you advised? Many thanks.
Expert:  Clare replied 12 days ago.

You still do not need to defend the divorce - it is in fact entirely separate from the financial settlement.

What you do is send a copy of the minute of agreement to his solicitors

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you Clare, really appreciated.
Kind regards

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice