Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

Could you kindly advise. The property I live in is accessed

Could you kindly advise.
The property I live in is accessed via a private farm lane, which has recently been sold. I've contacted the Land Registry, who have now sent me a copy of the 'Regsiter of Title' for the lane, giving me the details of the new owner. In this document it states "The land is subject to the rights granted by Transfer of land adjoining" my property, could you let me know what does this mean in plain English?
Also, I wish to move the access to my property further down the private farm lane closer to the public road. Do I need such a change agreed legally in writing, as according to the 'Register of Title' for the farm lane it does not state my access point, also could the new owner stop me from making such a change, even though there is no mention of my access point within this document?
Mark
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hi, "the land is subject..." just means that the lane is subject to your right of way (any rights affecting a property/land are mentioned in the Title and is evidence that the third party (you) has the necessary right. As regards ***** ***** access, provided the route of the access is not specified, and all it says "a right of way over the lane.." or words to that effect, you are perfectly entitled to move the access. I hope this assists and sets out the legal position. If so, I would be grateful if you could rate my answer. Kind Regards Al

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Al
When I've looked at the 'Register of Title' see attached, it doesn't state anything about "rights of way", only "rights granted by Transfer of land adjoining 2 Brickyard Cottages" (which is my property), is this the same thing?

Hi, thanks for the Official Copies. The title doesn't have to specifically set out all the rights affecting the land to the north of 2 Brickyard, as these are contained in the 3 documents mentioned in the Charges Register. You would have to make a separate application to the Land Registry for copies of these 3 documents to see exactly what rights affect, but as you have said, the rights benefitting your property are no doubt contained in the Transfer dated 17/12/2008. I hope this clarifies the position. Kind Regards Al