How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 31896
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

My partner was divorced 25 years ago but his solicitor did

Customer Question

Good morning my partner was divorced 25 years ago but his solicitor did not file it with the court and he never received a decree absolute and has since been struck off. My partners ex wife wrote him a letter stating she would not ask him for anymore settlement after he paid her off by remortgaging the house. We would like to marry what should we do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Have you checked that there has actually never been a Decree Absolutely

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was never filed with court
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the typos

Does he have anything with the Court number on it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure it'll take a while to look
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

I should have asked - who originally filed for the divorce - your partner or his ex?