How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

On 03/09/16 I signed a contract to rent a property which had

Customer Question

Good morning,
On 03/09/16 I signed a contract to rent a property which had been viewed on my behalf a week prior. I received a video showing me and everything looked good. On entering the property to do the inventory I smelt damp in the living room a through further inspection I saw what I am to believe are black damp marks under the sink where a washing machine is to go, the back wall of the kitchen is also a subterranean wall. The house is 200 years old so there is no damp course. I am an asthmatic so I cannot live in a house with damp.
The landlord obviously is very unhappy, I have paid the deposit and a months rent in advance as asked, so to release me from the contract the landlord now wants me to sign the deposit over to her and charge me an extra £790 on top of what I have already paid. Which they are saying is fair to them. I think this will cover any bills, re listing the property with agents etc.
I haven't moved int the property, I verbally said on the 8th that for health reasons I cannot move in for health reasons even though I showed my concerned through texts about it. I have no idea if what the landlord is doing is correct and I should pay the extra monies or if I have any rights at all?
Would you be able to help me?
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What would you like to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No thank you, ***** ***** the response in writing as I feel I may forget some of the information
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

What is it you would like to know about your question please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Jaimie,
I just need to know my rights, do I need to pay this money
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

why did you not inspect the property please?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I couldn't make the appointment as my father had had a stroke so I couldn't get down there so my boss and his wife viewed the property on my behalf, the had said that the property had been freshly painted so there was a strong smell of paint so the smell of damp was undetected at that time.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 8 months ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice