Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I've received a divorce papers from Ukraine. We have a son

Customer Question

I've received a divorce papers from Ukraine. We have a son who lives with me and has for 3 years since my wife left us. Now in divorce papers she asking that he should live with her? Son and I live in U.K. And are British citizens.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Despite what it states in her divorce papers as the child is in England, English law has jurisdiction and the process for her to attempt to charge the current arrangements is not easy and if no agreement can be reached between you she will need to apply to court for the court to make a decision.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has stared that she wants the child to live with her in divorce papers. And the hearing if in November in Ukraine?
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure the hearing is in relation to the child or is it in relation to the divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In papers it states that she wants the court to break the marriage and child to live with her.
Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

The Ukranian court will not have jurisdiction to make such an order if the child lives here as the English courts have jurisdiction. You may want to consider applying to the English courts for a child arrangement order for him to live with you - this will formally reflect the arrangements but the mother must be served with the application and be given an opportunity to respond to the proceedings. This can be done using form C100 and a £215 court fee to your local family court.

Expert:  Harris replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.