How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 70421
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

On 27/09/2016, my son's car was parked in Burford Road,

Customer Question

On 27/09/2016, my son's car was parked in Burford Road, Hounslow, near Brentford FC with two wheels on the pavement. When he returned to the car he had a parking notice saying that he had committed an offence. I understand that unless there is a notice prohibiting parking on the pavement, which as far as he could see, there definitely was not, then he has NOT committed an office and as such is not liable to pay the charge (£55 in 14 days otherwise £110)
Am I correct?
Rodney Pitt
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Who is the issuer please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
London Borough of Hounslow (Parking Services) P O Box 211 Sheffield S98 1NG
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

Ok. Were there signs up allowing parking on the pavement?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We did not se any signs regarding parking, other than the occasional one asking people to avoid blocking access to an entrance for disabled people. However, it was dark/street lighting and we were in a hurry
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

In that case, the starting point is that he has committed a contravention.

Within the central London Boroughs parking with wheels on the pavement is automatically prohibited unless there are signs up to the contrary.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we have no defence even though there were no obvious signs notifying us of the situation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

You can always try to appeal it. Sometimes they don't enforce it.

But if you went to Adjudication that would be the outcome if the facts are as you say.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No thank you so now I pay you the £47 plus the original £55?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Or am I on a free trial?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

I am never involved in billing. You would need to email customer services about that.

I didn't think they did free trials but, as I said, I am never involved in that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK thank you
Expert:  Jo C. replied 11 months ago.

No problem.

All the best.