12826847

I am a driving instructor with an in car CCTV. After posting

Customer Question

I am a driving instructor with an in car CCTV. After posting a video on Facebook to ask an opinion of other driving instructors, 90% stated it should be reported. One posted his views then added a view of his wife, whom I blocked last year for making derogatory comments about another video I posted when Tesco van driver had overtaken us in a dangerous manner. It ended with a police prosecution of the said driver. I was made to feel inferior and was being bullied by that person so blocked her off then. This time, I have decided that It's time to block him off, as I definitely did not want to hear the opinion of his wife again. Withing 30min of blocking him I received 1* review from a fake profile which I have traced to belong to the wife. After having a 5*rating my score has dropped to 4.8 which I feel is a "statement intended to disparage" my business from a competitor and a person I have never met but also a fake profile. What can I do in this case? Facebook is not responding to my requests. Thank you for your help. Regards. Monika
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

hello monika what are you hoping the outcome to be? are you wanting to sue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need a solution, hopefully without suing.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What are you hoping to achieve?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The removal of a fake review.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can that be done somehow?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

What does it say specifically?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing! it's just a 1*This is what happens on FB https://www.facebook.com/business/help/community/question/?id=10100880982077085&notif_t=answers_answered&notif_id=1476121341426661My page is here; https://www.facebook.com/1st-London-Driving-Academy-698623193544266/reviews
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

If that is all it is then that is not a defamation. That is just an opinion. That is a view they are free to have. They might be wrong but that is something they are able to be in the UK. Lots of people are wrong.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Unless it offends against the policy of FB in some way there is no legal way to force removal. It is not a defamation.

The problem is that this is the inevitable consequence of acting against people. Even if you do so for good and sound reasons you create a motivation for them to want to take revenge. That is why I never advice it unless it is a complaint that just cannot be ignored.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a fake profile, I have never met these people, how is that OK? They have never used my services, they are effectively my competition. On what grounds someone can give a review about my services never receiving them?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Half the profiles on FB are fake.

People don't have to use their real details.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

They are allowed to offer an opinion.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

The reality is that they have done it to get revenge but that is what happens sometimes when you take actions like this. Not everybody responds to provocation but some people do. That is why it is a good idea to select battles wisely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can anyone have an opinion on a real business from a fake profile never using the service! It's a fraud and slander!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying this is the way of defending oneself?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you mean?

I am saying that this is not defamation. Therefore it is not slander. It is certainly not fraud.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is it not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The video I have posted had nothing to do with the people in question. I had an email of apology from TFL too.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I can't really comment upon the reason for the law. I can only tell you what the law is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has the law not present on the internet world?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jo, just got your email. I did not get a reply to my last question. Is the law not present on the internet? Surely a person hiding under fake ID is not right under the law but a fraud, then that fakebooker can create fraudulent statements and undermine the credibility of a genuine business. Surely there's a law agaist it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fake ID gives itself glowing reviews, or even 2. https://www.yell.com/biz/cloud-9-events-lorna-topliffe-beckenham-7361977/