Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm a business owner and have received a letter from a

Customer Question

I'm a business owner and have received a letter from a solicitor for unpaid invoice. I had contacted the company prior to receiving the letter stating that I don't have a problem paying but need a breakdown of the charges. I was also due a credit amount which I stated on the email. I received no response from them apart from letter from solicitor. I have since been in contact and they are looking into the charges. I have asked them to void the letter and the additional charges from the solicitors. The company is saying they can't do that. I had no problem paying but would like to know what I'm paying for as it's been a turbulent journey with this company historically. I have no problem going to court as I refuse to pay the penalty charges. Where do I stand?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
After I receive clarification the charges are correct and I receive my credit amount I will pay the balance.I don't want to pay the penalty to the solicitors as it could have easily been dealt with with the company as I sent them an email saying please provide a breakdown and then I will pay. Am in my rights to challenge an invoice before I pay it? If this goes to court where do I stand?

A penalty is illegal and cant be levied. The charge can not be levied by the Solicitor.

If you refuse to pay the penalty all they can do is issue a small claim.

I assume its below £10,000 so will be a small claim and therefore no lawyers needed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's under £200. It's the principal!If they issue a small claim, will have no chance but to pay it despite all the info I have provided with regards ***** ***** for more clarification of the invoice amount ?

You should dispute it. £200 is unreasonable and it cant be collected unless its under a contract which says they can.

Its still an unreasonable amount

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.