Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am a tradesperson who dies plumbing plastering tiles g

Hi there. I am a tradesperson who dies plumbing plastering tiles g bathroom and kitchen installations. I took on a job as a labour only sun contractor with AHM installions. This was a wetroom. There was a leek that occoured on a solder ring joint. This wS pressure tested outside the property prior to fitting it. How ever it then failed when the floor was laid and caused considerable water damage resulting in the house having to be dried out. My insurance company NIG have declined the claim as I put down bathroom fitter and not o,umber on the application. Also the "is heat involved " box said no. Which I wasn't aware of. AHM are now going to pursue me in regards ***** ***** claim. Can you please advise as to where I stand on this matter and also what actions I need to take
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

I'm sorry. I responded to your question in error. I will opt out so that another expert can assist you. Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi can you please advise as to what I can do

In reality would it have made any difference to whether they insured you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't no as I had to take out cover before starting work with them. Do I have a leg to stand on with regards ***** ***** fact I was labour only and they were the ones who had the contract with the customer

You need to write and raise a formal complaint. They will investigate the matter and report back.

If they still refuse it then you can complain to the Financial Ombudsman.

They can see whether in reality it would have made any difference or whether they are just using this as an excuse.

You can complain to: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

That should resolve matters for you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Write and complain to whom my insurance brokers which is oxted claims or the insurance firm NIG or the firm I was sub contracting from

Your insurers, not the brokers.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
NIG then

Yes indeed.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If they decline then where do I stand in regards ***** ***** claim against me

Sadly you can either admit or fight it. If you fight it the matter may end up in Court.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But what happens if I admit it as I do not have the kind of money they are talking about

Sadly then you are personally liable. They could get Judgment against you on that basis.

I am sorry.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what would that mean

They could enforce it by getting a charge on house, sending in bailiffs, making you bankrupt if over £5000.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Would they take my building tools/van as that is all I have as I rent and have very little belongings apart from those

No - they cant take tools of your trade, work equipment, bedding etc. Only things of value

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are there any other options that I have

Sadly not. go to the Ombudsman first. See what they say.

By the sounds of it your insurers are just using this as an excuse.

You have nothing to lose doing that.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Also where does the customer stand if the contract was with AHM will there insurers pay him

If he is paid out in full by someone, then the customer can NOT come after you.

The customer cant profit from the error

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Then AHM / there insurers come after me is that right

It is possible. But that is why you need to raise a complaint and then go the Ombudsman

Does that clarify?

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor