Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor

I purchased car insurance from lloyds on 07-Sep-2016. I got

I purchased car insurance from lloyds on 07-Sep-2016. I got the quote from
Lloyds sold me insurance from Aviva. The pollcy was purhcased onlin, hence no docuement send in post. I expected all communication related to policy by email or phone call.
After buying, I had checked the detail and to best of knowledge they were correct. Payment was done and insurance was in place for one year. I registered the policy for online docuemntation.
No docuementation was send by Lloyds in post as the policy was purchased online. Last so many years I have been buying insurance policy online.
On 10-Oct-2016 my wife policy holder met with accident. I logged on the online,so that claim could be put in place. I found status invalid and polciy closed on 20-Sep-2016. I phoned customer serivice to check why status was invalid..
To my surprise, they told me that underwritter had cancelled the policy and they send letter in post.
On the contrary I have not received any letter, nor there was any email or phone call from lloyds insurer. They told me that obligation was only to send notice of cancellation by post and they posted the letter on 10th sept about cancellation of insurance policy. No email regarding policy cancellation courtesy phone call from LLoyds regarding policy cancellation. refund in account on 05-Oct-2016.
I was driving my car with impression that the I have valid insurancce.
I do expect insurance company to behave responsible, if the underwriter has cancelled after fews day of policy policy got activated, then they should have contacted me by phone and make sure that I have information that my car is without any insurance. Even courtesy email from them would have been better.
If LLoyds would have disucssed with me ragarding any concern on my policy .. I would have taken right step and ensure that I do not break law by driving car without insurance.
No one keep checking status of insurance online every day or credit card statement everyday...
I feel cheated by LLoyds ...
What are my rights in this situation?? How do I handle expense for the accident ??
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
If the insurer or underwriter found some inconsistence information ..they should have contacted me on phone or email and given me oppurtunity to correct myself...but in this case the insurer has got rid of his obligation by simplying posting a letter that I have not received...I would not be stupid to drive volvo xc 60 knowingly without insurance for single day... I have been driving in this country for more that 13 years but never broken law.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also the accident that has happened seem to be other drivers fault as he was joining from main road from side road. Ideally car joining from side road to main road should wait for car on the main road should check before joining main road.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve please?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi,I am in trouble because insurance has failed in obligation in informing tegarding cancellation of insurance.Sending a letter is not sufficient as it can get lost in post. Even if they send letter it should have been recorded post.They shpuld have contacted me on phone or se d email.I would like insurance responsibility and process the claim.Though the cancel the policy refund was credit on 05-oct-2016.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Did you not notice that they refunded you?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
The refund i realised after checking credit card after insurance told me yesterday that policy has been cancelled after 20-sep-2016.Refund has been order and processed on 0(-oct-2016
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

In law they do not need to send the letter other than post. There is nothing to say they must sent it recorded delivery.

However what you should do is write and make a formal complaint. The insurers will investigate it and come back to you.

If that does not resolve the matter you can then contact the Financial Ombudsman about their disgraceful behaviour about how bad they have treated you. The Ombudsman offer a free, independent service and can investigate your complaint at:

The Ombudsman may find that the insurance company cover the cost and expenses of the accident.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Is there anything extra i need to mention in letter to insurer ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Has the complain be in writing or phone call?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

I would make sure it is in writing, not by email or telephone call

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
On the other hand, in the first sight the accident seem to be third faulty ... do I have right for claim to be processed by third insurer ???
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Yes the third party insurer, because there was no negligence on your part

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have discussed with insurer this issue and they have expressed apology. But apology does not help.Kindly gudie me fornulating Customer complain to both LLoyds customer service and FSAI would like them to take responsibilty of the cost of repair for my car
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

You need to put it in writing to the insurer. They need to give you a final response.

Sadly I cant draft a letter for you, but simply put:

1) What happened

2) What they did wrong

3) What was the outcome
Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Please review the draft complain to bank. Pleae provide me your input.----------------------------------
Detail about policy purchased:
Policy number : XXXXX
Policy purchased date : 05-Sep-2016
Policy cover start date: 07-Sep-2016
Policy cancelled by insurer : 20-Sep-2016
Refund by Insurer : 05-Oct-2016Complain :
1) Communication Failure from Lloyds insurance, led to driver driving car without proper insurance.
2) This situation has put my family not only under financial pressure, but also lots of mental stress.
3) Portal shows both main driver and additional driver as Usha (Reference attached printout)
4) Any reason why refund was given on 05-Oct-2016 (as per the advisor) though policy was cancelled on 20-Sep-2016.
5) Though policy was purchased online no email send for policy cancellation.
6) Critical letter for policy cancellation sent in regular post rather than recorded post.When was issue identified :
The issue got identified after accident on 10-Oct-2016.What Happened ?I purchased insurance policy from Lloyds bank on 05-Sep-2016 using comparision site . I fully paid the policy, underwritten by Aviva. The information provided during purchase of insurance was to the best of my knowledge.Lloyd send me email confirmation for the policy purchase. Email clearly said no action required and there was no requirement to send proof of no claim. I logged on to online portal Service Center and download the documents. I reviewed the policy documents and they seem fine to me.Since the policy was purchased online, my expectation was that henceforth all communication will be on-line at least by email.On 10-oct-2016 policyholder met with an accident. We logged on the service portal for logging claim. But to our dismay we found policy had invalid status . I phoned Lloyds to enquire the reasoning behind portal showing status invalid. The advisor on call told me that on 13-Sep-2016 letter was sent explaining reasoning for cancellation of insurance.I informed advisor, that I had not received any letter related to cancellation of policy, hence my understanding is policy is valid and we are covered under insurance policy purchased but Lloyds but they refused the insurance cover.If LLoyds customer service would have contacted me either by email or phone call or recorded delivery, then being law abiding citizen I would have ensured proper cover in place for my car.I do accept there is possibility of some gap in information provided while filing form on How can you expect person to remember exactly all the situation with exact date & expense for 5 years.Also please check service portal as both named driver name is ***** ***** (i.e. main driver and additional driver as Usha Singh) (Reference Attached printout.) . I wonder if I this kind of information on the portal what information would have been passed to underwriter.Reasoning for Customer Complain :
1) If I had not responded back to them for the letter after 20-Sep-2016, they should have phone me and discussed the circumstance.
2) No customer would be checking status of car insurance policy daily logging on the portal.
Since the policy was purchased online we do expect communication regarding the cancellation at least by email or phone call or recorded postInsurer cannot shy away from their more commitment to customers.Looking forward lloyds higher management:
I would like higher management to review disgusting services provided. Failure from insurer has put myself in embarrassing situation and financial liability.The insurer Lloyds should
accept their fault
compensate for the mental stress my family has gone through
bear all the expenses related to repair of car----------------------------
Please review and give ur input.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

Yes that seems fine, but say you will go to Ombudsman is they fail to deal with this satisfactory.

If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor