How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

Last year I had a debate with a car park management firm

Resolved Question:

Last year I had a debate with a car park management firm regarding a parking fee. It went to the stage where I challenged it via POPLA but they decided against me. At end of last year and after months of this, I was literally getting depressed, so I paid the firm by cheque. I have proof that the cheque was honoured, and yet I recently received more correspondence from the firm asking for the fee to be paid otherwise they will go to court. They are typically unreasonable to deal with, so I am prepared to go to court to present my proof of payment, but my question is, if I do that, what other action can I take (e.g. can I also have them charged with harassment?).
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Aren't they saying that the sum has been increased because you went to POPLA?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No, they are just asking for the original £85, presumably because teh challenge to this kind of case by Beavis in the high court was taken as a precendent and all that was granted in that case was £85.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

Well, it is not that simple.

Beavis didn't say they couldn't levy their collection costs. If they go to court they certainly can.

Beavis just said that the challenge that £85 didn't represent loss was wrong.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 16 days ago.

In fact, they usually do ask for a greater sum if you appeal. That may or may not succeed in court but it doesn't amount to unlawful harassment. They are chasing in a debt. That may well be misconceived but it isn't harassment.

If that were to be accepted then any wrongful claim would be an instance of harassment.

If you have paid in full then just ignore them and invite them to sue. It will get nowhere even if they do.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't know what happened yesterday, but the internet connection seemed to fail so I gave up in frustration. What I was going to say was that given that they drove me to the edge of depression last year and they are starting again I would rather take steps to nip this in the bud and force them to realise that they must stop. There's no point contacting them directly as they are an arrogant bunch who may not even bother to respond. What occurred to me is that taking them to court myself may just stop them.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

I'm not sure for what?

They are just bringing an incorrect debt collection action. You cannot sue for that.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 15 days ago.

I suppose the only thing you could do is seek an injunction but that would cost in the low hundreds and you won't recover.

Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 69268
Experience: Over 5 years in practice
Jo C. and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, thanks for your advice.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Last | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice