29905560

For 2 years we have had a building company building an

For 2 years we have had a building company building an extension for us. It’s almost been complete for since July. All they have to do is put back the block pave they took up to do the job, replace the piece of guttering one of their idiots threw away, put the iron work up on the Juliet balcony and for the electrician to test and issue a certification.
How do we force them to finish the job, we only owe them a couple of hundred? When the job was looking like being imminently completed back in Feb-Mar time we paid our final payment, supposed to speed up them getting the last of materials etc.
We see them may be once a fortnight/month for ½ a day at most… always some excuse people being on holiday etc.
Your Faithfully
Bryan Airey
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Have you considered getting someone else to finish the job?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How easy is it to dismiss a builder then claim for the amount back when getting another builder to complete the work?

Ok well when you have entered into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession);

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time has been agreed); and

· Provided at a reasonable price (unless a specific price has been agreed).

In addition, any information said or written is binding where the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or about the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with the standard of work, or any of the above, you will have certain rights:

1. The trader should either redo the parts of the service which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to you. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing you significant inconvenience.

2. If redoing the work is impossible or cannot be done within a reasonable time or without causing significant inconvenience, you can claim a price reduction. The price reduction would depend on how severe the issues are and could be as much as the full cost of the work.

3. If the service has not been performed at all or been performed so badly that it would be unreasonable to expect the consumer to give the trader a second chance, you may be entitled to claim the cost of remedial work by another trader.

So you can dismiss a builder at any time, although ideally you should give them official warnings telling them what you are going to stop working with them unless the do as requested by a specific date, Then they are aware of your intentions and without any reasonable excuse in place they cannot really challenge you.

The issue is how to get the amount back from them because if they refuse to simply pay you then you will have to consider the small claims court route to pursue them for a refund.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to take should you have to pursue them for money later on. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This is exactly what I wanted at this stage. and I will probably come back for more advice once I have started the ball rolling. I would recommend asking that first question, it's always the hardest...4/5

Thank you, ***** ***** confirm was 4/5 the rating you left, so I can mark it on the page? thanks