Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

We have underfloor heating in our rented flat, but it is

We have underfloor heating in our rented flat, but it is just too expensive. It cost approximately £20 per day heat the 2 bed flat. What are the owners responsibilities?
The managing agents have gotten a couple of estimates for different types of heating, but don't seem to be getting anywhere either. My husband and I are both pensioners and I am somewhat disabled. I get DLA.
Thank you for any help you can give
Evayne Bentley
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello Evayne my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.
What is it you want to achieve ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to be able to be warm at an affordable price.
I assume you read my original question ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Yes I did read it. Did you look at the flat before you rented it?

Did you ask about heating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We knew that it had underfloor heating, but never in a million years did we envision it to cost that much.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We had very little to find a flat, we were suddenly given 8 weeks notice on our previous flat as the owner had decided to sell. There was absolutely no other flats to rent, at a price we could afford. When this flat cane up we had about 3 weeks to move.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Did you ever ask?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ask what? About the costs, in truth no. We were in such a daze and a rush, it didn't cross our minds. It had never been an issue before. The previous flat was our first time renting.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What type of tenancy agreement did you have and when did you move in?

However I dont think its going to be good news. You cant force the Landlord to change the heating system

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 years, (at our insistence) we moved in at the end of March 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we don't have much choice but to buy portable heaters?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Sadly yes all you can do is buy heaters.

This is because you knew it had underfloor heating, it was not misrepresented to you. It would have been possible for you to have made enquiries about this.

I understand that you needed to move in a hurry, but it is not the Landlord's fault it has underfloor heating.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.