29905560

My disabled sister went in a shop looked round knocked down

Customer Question

My disabled sister went in a shop looked round knocked down a lampshades candle the shop keeper took her money she came back to my sister upset crying went to the shop keeper and said she had a disability it was due to her disability he was very nasty said to bad if she a disability it not so much the lose of money but the cheek no respect for a body with a disability has she got anywrights
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Based on your sister's recent experience, what would she ideally like to achieve given the circumstances?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, whilst someone may be disabled they will still have culpability and be responsible for their actions. A business should not be made to suffer because of the actions of others, even if those were caused by a disability. To use a simplistic example, a person with severe Parkinson’s cannot go in a china shop and pick up lots of items and drop them, breaking them, and then try to claim that it was his condition which caused that and that they should not be responsible for the damage.

So in the circumstances the comments that were said would certainly be unwelcome and unethical but not necessarily illegal. Saying it is too bad someone has a disability is not unlawful, but had they made derogatory remarks, made fun of her etc would be more serious. So remember that not everything that appears wrong is illegal and many such arguments would be ethical rather than legal and as such would have no legal comeback.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

My full response should be visible on this page. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question or whether you need me to clarify anything else in relation to this? If your query has been answered I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating, selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you