29905560

I have a employee on 0 hour contract ( been with me 10

i have a employee on 0 hour contract ( been with me 10 months ) we are reducing her hours from 30 to about 16 and then eventually down to 0 but she as just announced she is pregnant can i still reduce her hours and not get into any bother because she is pregnant
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

On average, how many hours does she currently work per week? Please can you also just clarify whether she is aware of the planned reduction in her hours anyway?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she normally work between 20 and 30 hours per week she is not aware of the reduction
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. it is entirely permissible to reduce an employee’s hours even if they are pregnant. Becoming pregnant does not give them any direct protection in the sense that if there are other reasons for the reduction, they can still use these to implement the changes. What would be an issue is if the reasons for the reduction were as a result of her pregnancy. So if you suddenly decided that you do not want a pregnant employee working for you and used that to reduce her hours. However, the reduction was already being implemented before you had heard she was pregnant and as long as you can show that your decision was already made up and had nothing to do with her pregnancy, then there should be no legal issues in continuing with that reduction, even in the face of pregnancy.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if she is on a 0 hour verbal contract can we reduce her hours as and when necessary
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

yes you can, there is no guarantee of any hours at all, just ensure that a decision not to offer her any hours and offering hours to others in preference to her is not linked to her pregnancy.

If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you