Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have recently moved out of my rented flat. I lived there

Customer Question

I have recently moved out of my rented flat. I lived there for 2.5 years. I originally signed a tenancy agreement which stated i would be charged for the checkout. After 2 years that estate agent was sold to another larger estate agents and i was asked to sign a new tenancy agreement. This tenancy agreement doesn't mention the check out costs and states that the tenancy starts on 1st Feb 2016. The estate agents are now trying to charge me as it was in the original agreement from 2.5 years ago and that both agreements are valid. How can both be valid when they have different clauses and even different costs. Surely only one is valid? Surely that has to be the newest one and if they didn't tell me about the checkout costs then i'm not liable.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much is the cost please?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jamie,Its £150

They can't. If there was a new tenancy and you agreed to it, then that supersedes the existing one.

Therefore you can't be charged. Your latest tenancy agreement does not allow it.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?