29905560

I have a son who is 17 and he wishes to change his surname.

Customer Question

I have a son who is 17 and he wishes to change his surname. He no longer has contact with his mother, although we know where she lives. I have had conflicting reports about 1. whether this is possible at all, and 2. under what circumstances it can be done.
I have been told that it is possible if he changes his name by deed pole, as long as there are no court order that forbid a change of name. My question is, is this true? Any help with clarification would be really helpful.
Nic
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Is the mother agreeable to this change?

Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He /we have no contact with his mother and haven't for a few years. He has lived solely with me for the last 6 years. It is likely that she wouldn't want him to change his name though.

Thanks calling now

Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 30 years.

Despite what it says on the Government website your Son is over 16 and as such is entitled to change his name if he wishes - and to sign a Change of Name Deed in his own

right

What is more there is no cost involved and he can create one here

http://freedeedpoll.org.uk/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you Clare.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

You are most welcome