Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

I purchased 31.1 acres of land in 2006 and agreed to let it

I purchased 31.1 acres of land in 2006 and agreed to let it for 3 years for £200 per year on the understanding that the tennant fenced the land to an agreed standard.the first year he did a lot of work to the boundary,approximately one third,but did nothing after that.he continued to rent the ground until october 2015. From march 2010 to march 2015 at a licence fee of £1555 per annum.from april 2015 to October 2015 at a licence fee of£1860.I am left with land with most of the boundaries in very poor condition or non existant and he refuses to honour our initial agreement.regards ***** *****
Expert:  Buachaill replied 11 months ago.

1. Dear *****, here you can sue the tenant for the actual costs involved in fencing the remaining two-thirds of the land as it was a condition of the tenancy agreement that the tenant fence the land. As it was a contract term which has been breached you can sue for damages for breach of that terms. The law will allow you to do the work yourself and to send the bill to the tenant. The amount of the fencing costs will be recoverable as a liquidated debt from the tenant. Alternatively, if you don't want to do the work yourself, you can get an estimate for what the costs involved are and then sue the tenant for them. Either way, you will not be left out of pocket for the costs of fencing the remaining two-thirds of the land.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so, your Expert will not receive payment for answering your question.