How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34106
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

What is the best ( cheapest and easiest) way to get a power

Customer Question

What is the best ( cheapest and easiest) way to get a power of attorney for my aged mother? Should i use a lawyer or can i do it myself? I need an LPA for Property and financial affairs. Thanks
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Does your mother actually still have Mental Capacity

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she still has mental capacity but is physically frail and aged (88). She is in a carehome and incapable of looking after herself and also her finance affairs ( tax ,investment , selling her house etc)
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

Then the choice is yours and frankly depends entirely on how you feel about dealing with forms

The forms you need are available online here

You will need someone to certify as to her mental capacity.

It is a matter of following the guides - and understanding that some of the questions are repetitive.

Alternatively a solicitor should not charge more than £300 to £500 - but do get quotes

Please ask if you need further details

Clare and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
OK thanks for the answer.
I'm trying to sort out the forms using the website and government link but one thing i'm struggling with is the certification of my mothers mental capacity.
I've asked her accountant to do this but he doesn't seem sure on what the ask is, do you know what the form entails?
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

You should ask her doctor to deal with it