F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I was caught shoplifting, police called

I was caught shoplifting, police called
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Could you explain your situation a little more please and what exactly it is that you want to know about this?

It would be useful to know if you had been charged or arrested and what was the value of the items you took.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was caught shoplifting with £200 worth of stuff, stupid I know but I suffer with a lot of anxiety and have researched into links between being addicted to shoplifting. I can afford everything I stole so I am not sure what came over me.Police were called and I had to sign something saying I admitted to the offence. They took copies of my driver licence and a list of what I stole.They told me that it was something like a police caution that if I am caught stealing again it would be more serious. They said it wouldn't show up when applying for a job, or with London police, just in the Essex police recordsI am going to New York in November and am worried about passport control,
Will they be able to find out about this?I am also expecting a fine from RLP, is this normal and do I pay it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Being caught is what I've needed to make me stop, as stupid as that sounds. I'm been selfish and idiotic.
I worry about it effecting my future but if I was not taken to a police station, and just had to sign something saying I admitted the crime, what does this mean for my future

Thank you. It is unlikely that you received a formal caution because you were not arrested and taken to the police station.

If you get a penalty from RLP that is not a criminal conviction, it is a fixed penalty.

It will not automatically show up on an enhanced DBC check and it’s up to the police where they decide to record it on the cheque. It can be disclosed if the police feel it’s relevant and then, it would appear in “other relevant information” although it’s unlikely.

It does remain on the police computer however as intelligence and cannot be removed from there.

Here is a second opinion for you http://hub.unlock.org.uk/faq/dbs/fixed-penalty-notice-appear-dbs-check/

Can I clarify anything for you? Please rate the service positive so that I get paid. We can still exchange emails. Best wishes. FES

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** about going to New York. My esta visa has been approved, but could this be seen at boarder control?

There is no guaranteed way of knowing whether it shows up or not. If you want to be absolutely 100% guaranteed you are going to be allowed entry, the only way of doing that is to apply for the visa and not rely on Esta

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
in terms of my record, as long as I do not ever make such a stupid mistake again, this is likely to be just a caution, if I was not taken to the station, I do not have a criminal record, and do not have to disclose this when applying for jobs

It is unlikely to be a caution. It’s likely to be a fixed penalty which is even more minor. You have to disclose cautions generally fixed penalties you don’t but it depends on the wording of the application. It is not a conviction.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
this normally just stays on internal police records, unless the police feel it needs to be disclosed?Thank you so much for your help