29905560

I ordered an expensive item (450 GBP) for my step daughter

Customer Question

I ordered an expensive item (450 GBP) for my step daughter living in London from amazon.co.uk. They reported it delivered to a neighbour named Jon. When she went to get it, the package was not there and no Jon lived at the address. She talked to all the neighbours and no one knew a Jon. Amazon says they investigated and the package was delivered, but we do not have it. They demanded we file a report with the police - I did, but the police said this should be handled by Action Fraud. I filed a report with Action Fraud and Amazon told me such a report will not be acceptable. They have my money and have provided me with nothing and now refuse to return my money. I am a US citizen and don't know what to do next.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Did you give instructions or permission that they can deliver to a neighbour?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Did you pay with a UK credit card?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I paid with an EU debit card (from Estonia, where I live). I have already contacted my bank. I haven't heard from them yet what my options are.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, sorry I have been in court most of today. In the circumstances you bought an item from Amazon and they have a responsibility for it until it is safely delivered to the recipient. Just because they say they have delivered it to a neighbour does not mean that they are absolved from their legal obligations. Unless you had given them permission to deliver to a neighbour, they would not have had the right to do so and if this resulted in non-delivery of the item they would have still been liable for it until safe delivery to the intended recipient. They cannot just give the item to a stranger, whoever they claim to be, and say that they have met their responsibilities in delivering the item. So in the circumstances you can still hold them responsible.

I cannot advise on EU credit cards but in the UK you would have protection under the Consumer Credit Act which would hold the credit card provider jointly liable for this and you can try and get your money back from them. Check to see if the country you are in has similar protection.

If not, then you can follow Amazon’s formal complaints procedure to its full completion and if that does not help you can consider the small claims court in the UK – you do not need to be based there but need a UK address you can use for correspondence to issue the claim.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps to initiate the small claims procedure. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.