Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor LLB (Hons) 23 years of experience in Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

My brother died without leaving a will, my mother is next of

My brother died without leaving a will, my mother is next of kin and has the letters of administration. My brothers partner has been to a solicitor as she lived with him for 2 years 3 weeks. We have had very little correspondence from her solicitor and my mothers solicitor says that if they don't make a claim by six months then the estate can be processed etc. by my mother and the partner has no claim. (The partner still lives in my brothers house, she pays no rent as we pay the mortgage and loan). I would like to know, does the partner/partners solicitor have to make a claim by producing some form of legal document or is it that her solicitor just writes to my mothers solicitor making a claim. I would ask our solicitor however with the rising costs its cheaper to do this.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 9 months ago.

Hi Lorraine, thanks for your enquiry. Your Mother's partner would need to make a formal application to Court within 6 months from the date Letters of Admin have been granted- her Solicitor can not therefore just write to your brother/Solicitor. I hope this clarifies the legal position. Kind Regards Al